SLIDE1

 

20140104

HOW TO GET A KOREAN PHONE NUMBER ?



Happy new year guys ! I hope this new year will bring you a lot of joy and success ;) Today, I am going to explain how to get a Korean phone number, which may be necessary if you are staying in South Korea for more than three months. 

There are several telecom companies but I am going to talk only about Olleh since I only know about this company. First of all, you have to make sure your phone is unlocked, this procedure has to be done in your home country if you bought your phone over there. The second alternative is to buy a phone in South Korea. 

If you are staying in South Korea for at least two years, you can buy your phone and subscribe at the same time at any telecom companies, you would usually find interesting deals this way, like a very cheap smartphone. But I am not sure they are all unlocked (which is important if you are going to use it in your country), I heard only SKT provide unlocked phones. 
If you are staying less than two years, you cannot buy a phone from telecom companies as they only offer 2 year contracts. So, you can buy it in electronic stores, it will be more expensive though. You can go to the electronic market in Yongsan, in Seoul. I heard their goods were cheaper than elsewhere ! 

Then you can head to any Olleh global stores (or any Olleh stores if you can speak Korean) because they can speak English. I usually go to the one in Gwanghwamun (Gwanghwamun station exit 2) or in Hongdae (Hongdae station exit 9) since they are the easiest to find. You will need to bring your Alien Registration Card or your Passport. By the way, you will have to wait three days after you arrived in South Korea to get this service. 

You can buy a sim card for about 10,000 won. Since, I don't phone a lot nor text (everybody in South Korea uses KakaoTalk to phone or text), I chose to get a prepaid plan. I usually pay 10,000 won in order to be able to phone and text and it lasts for 2 months. And as I said, everybody in South Korea use KakaoTalk so the important point is to have data to use it !
I usually buy 300 MB or 500 MB for one month. 300 MB is enough when I don't have any troubles with wifi at home. And when I go out, there is usually wifi everywhere, so I barely use my data. 300 MB costs 8,800 won. You can find detailed rates of the prepaid plan here.

So, it is really easy to get a phone number in South Korea and very cheap, at least compared to France ! When you want to charge your phone you can go to any Olleh stores. But they only provide this service during weekdays. And be sure to have your Alien Registration Card number or passport number with you because they may ask you it (sometimes they only ask your phone number). 


No comments:

Post a Comment