SLIDE1

 

20140111

KOREAN FASHION MAGAZINES


My roommates always complain about me buying too many magazines in South Korea. I am actually willing to stop though, because I realized I will not live in South Korea forever, and sending them to France is quite expensive ! 

Since I cannot fully understand Korean language yet, I can only look at the pictures, just like a kid. I usually buy magazines for fashion and beauty purposes, so it is enough for me. Though I cannot read them, I really like the way Korean people arrange every post in the magazines. It looks fresh and fun to read, all you want to do is learn Korean to read them ! 

In this post, I will introduce you briefly some Korean magazines I've bought and which kind of content they offer because you may not always be able to read them in the bookstore !



The Korean version of Vogue Girl must be similar to the other version of this magazine. I have actually never read it, but I guess it is at least a bit similar to Vogue. Just like other fashion magazines, Vogue Girl is about last fashion and beauty trends. It mainly focus about catwalks trends and especially foreign fashion. But they are also inspired by Korean celebrities showing what to where, what to buy etc. But since it is Vogue Girl, the content is more or less for young women, so it looks less "serious" than the Vogue issues. 






This kind of magazine is not the kind I would actually buy. I only bought it because I like 김명수's photo shoot haha. This magazine is more into fashion than into cosmetics ! 


If you are really into Korean celebrities and are looking for the perfect magazine about Korean fashion and cosmetics, Céci is for you ! This magazine always offer gorgeous photo shootings of Korean celebrities. Everytime I buy it, I'm never disappointed and I would "read" it again and again. Although this magazine may be 50% about fashion and 50% about beauty, for some reasons it looks like the content is mainly about beauty haha. There are various articles about beauty products, such as review, beauty awards, makeup tutorials (which is what I love about Asian magazines!)... And Céci always come with a beauty product as a gift ! I even got a box with bb creams and more with one of their issues !




Once again, I bought this magazine because I loved 명수's photo shoot ! Don't ask me how many magazines I bought for him, at that time he was popular because he released his second photobook. And it happened that I really like the photo shoot from Céci ! They always have awesome shoots of the celebrities. And although I really like this magazine, I would not buy it really often because it is really heavy. Not good for people who are not living in South Korea :( I had to struggle to not buy the issue with Troublemaker ! 


Nylon Korea is my favorite magazine ! I like everything about this magazine, even the typography haha. I don't know if it is similar to the other edition since there is no French edition. The magazine is about fashion, beauty, culture.. It does not only focus on haute couture clothes, making the items more affordable for us. The content may be similar to other magazines, but there is something about Nylon I really like. I think it is the way editors arrange the articles, the photos. It always enjoy "reading" it !





As you can see, the content looks really fresh and funky. I guess mainly young women read it.


OhBoy! is a free magazine dealing with various subjects. Contrary to the other magazines I've introduced you, this one does not talk about fashion nor beauty stuff. Its editors claim to be eco-friendly and art lovers. The point of this magazine is the photo shoots. To me, they are the best ones, with 1stLook. I really like them. Since it is free, you cannot find it in bookstores, but in stores like Joyrich or Galleria.



The issue with f(x)'s Krystal was about cats, even the photo shoot of her was cat themed. I really really like the photos !


Korean people are known for having a great fashion sense. Hence, there are a lot of street fashion magazines. Cracker Your Wardrobe is one of Korea's most famous street style magazines.
The particularity of this magazine is that it does not focus on Seoul, there are also shots from Busan, New York, Paris, Tokyo etc. So people's styles are very different, it is very inspiring ! There is also the section "Attack your wardrobe" which allow us to see people's wardrobes and places, I really like this part haha.





If you really like fashion and unusual fashion styles, this magazine is for you. It really offers various fashion styles which make this magazine unique. Sometimes, the magazine comes with a small edition of the Japanese magazines Fruits and Tune.


Looktique is one of South Korea's most popular street style magazines. Unlike Cracker Your Wardrobe, this magazine focus on trendy items. The shoots are really good. The styles are pretty similar, there is less variety than in CYW. But it is really pleasant to look at, even the paper is a high quality one. The photographers are seeking for gorgeous people, so they are usually models.
Looktique also covers little fashion events, such as fashion markets and private fashion parties (like store opening parties).






This magazine praises Korean creators, if you like them, you should buy this magazine ! What is more, if you like Korean models, you will always see them in the magazines, it is also interesting to see them in their own fashion style, it's different from what you see in the photo shoots :) My ugly photo was once published in this magazine, I was not even aware of it :( For more information about the content of the magazine, check out their Facebook page.


I am pretty sure you all know 1stLook magazine. It is a little magazine coming every two weeks. It is about fashion and celebrities. They always cover the latest huge events, like awards ceremonies. They also do gorgeous photo shooting. As I said before, they're my favorites with OhBoy!'s.







The awesome fact is that this magazine is cheap, it only costs 500 won. But you can also get it for free at some places like Olive Young or CGV!


High Cut is a magazine similar to 1stLook. The content is pretty the same but with less photos and since I cannot read Korean I cannot really compare them. High Cut usually has great photo shoots as well. The whole magazine looks more classy than 1stLook. Besides the photo shoots, there is nothing else that caught my attention. That is why I only have one issue.



I hope this post will help you choosing Korean magazines next time you will buy them :) As far as I am concerned, I will not buy all these magazines each month since I have to slow down with spending money. The magazines I will keep buying are Nylon, Looktique, 1stLook and sometimes Cracker Your Wardrobe !

Which magazines caught your attention ? 

29 comments:

  1. Oh You got an Issue of CYW with Una, she looks so cute ! Since I can't read korean I would only buy the ones with almost only pictures like CYW/Looktique/1st Look, but mostly CYW because yeah I love korean models but idk I like to see unknown faces,plus CYW takes pictures of ppl in Japan, in the USA, Italy etc, it's more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually only buy CYW when I find interesting looks, sometimes it doesn't happen (especially during cold seasons). But I always end up buying Looktique because their shoots are awesome and they cover fashion events haha.

      Delete
  2. j'ai envie de te voler tes magazines :( nylon,Cracker Your Wardrobe et celui avec krystal ... omg elle est magnifique !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh la la non ce sont mes précieux :P C'est vrai que c'est dur de se procurer ceux-là en dehors de la Corée ><

      Delete
  3. Nylon, Looktique et Cracker mes préférés ! Et le Oh Boy avec Krykry <3 En plus j'adore le papier qu'ils utilisent. De la bonne qualité pour un magazine gratuit !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looktique, Nylon (j'adore aussi la version Japonaise et Américaine, mais les Nylon asiatiques sont mieux je trouve!), j'aime beaucoup Céci pour les photoshoot et OhBoy! j'en ai jamais entendu parler mais j'adore les magazines gratuit que je collectionne! T'en as de la chance sinon! J'aurais adoré pouvoir en acheté ou m'abonner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je pense que le magazine OhBoy! te plairait, les photo shoots sont superbes :)

      Delete
  6. ils ont lair top ces mag !

    http://devsnochaos.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les FDP (ça va dans les deux sens quand on fait attention aux initiales ...) sont tellement élevés .. C'est incroyable. Et ça m'énerve tellement parce que même si je ne comprends rien, les magazines coréens sont plus intéressants et plus beaux au niveau du visuel !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tu m'étonnes, payer 10 balles pour un magazine qui n'en vaut même pas un euro (les 1stLook, High Cut..) ça fait mal :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEAVEN. Puis y'a tellement de pages, comparé aux magazines de chez nous. Ils savent présenter leurs articles en donnant envie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, ils sont super colorés, ça donne envie de lire !! Si seulement on pouvait haha.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous2/24/2014

    thank you for this nice selection of KOREAN FASHION MAGAZINES!
    i am a young fashion photographer from berlin and would love to work for korean magazines, so this is a nice inspiration...
    i was looking for the editorial office contact of "oh boy!" on the web page do you find it in the mag and could give it to me? since i am in berlin i wouldn´t find a free copy here ;)
    best filine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) I'm glad you like it !
      Here are some contacts from OhBoy magazines :

      Publisher/editor in chief/art director : Kim HyeongSeong (ohboymagazine@gmail.com)
      And two contacts based in Europe :
      Kim ZiYeon (London) : ziyeon@gmail.com
      Kwon SeulKi (Paris) : kwonbale@gmail.com

      hope it helps :)

      Delete
  11. Anonymous2/24/2014

    ;) thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know where to get ceci magazines in myeongdong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure ! If you go to Noon Square (it is like a small department store inside Myeongdong main street), there is a bookstore in the basement, you can get Ceci over there :)

      Delete
  13. do you know where to get ceci magazines in myeongdong? is it possible to get it at family mart?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8/12/2014

    Are you able to buy these magazines if you reside overseas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can buy them on kpoptown!

      Delete
  15. Anonymous2/27/2015

    Hello, can you please tell me where do you usually get all this magazines? I will be in Seoul next month and want to visit some magazine store. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ! They usually sell those magazines in bookstores ! There's one huge bookstore named "Kyobo" at Gwanghwamun station (line 5, exit 2 or 3). There's also another big one at Jonggak station, maybe exit 6? They are the stores I usually go to to get those magazines!
      For Ohboy! you should go to some fashion stores, I know Joyrich store give them for free, I think Galleria in Apgujeong Rodeo is giving them too !

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3/07/2015

      Wow! This helps me a lot. Gwanghwamun and Apgujeong is on my list too and try to see what I can get in Jonggak Station. Onc again, Thank you so much dear. Keep it up!! ^^ xoxo

      Delete
  16. Anonymous4/29/2015

    Hello, I am doing a market study about fashion magazines in South Korea, do you know all the magazine price in Korea bookstores please ?? (not in the internet)

    -Vogue girl
    -CeCi
    -High cut
    -Queen
    -High cut
    -Fashion Channel
    -The Star
    -CASA
    -NYLON Korea
    -CeCi Korea
    -Dazed
    -Lady
    -Bazaar
    -Esquire
    -Vogue Korea (International)
    -Elle Korea (International)
    -W (International)
    -Cosmopolitan (International)

    Merci
    Virginie
    vinodinie93@hotmail.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Hmm I don't have the magazines at my place but they're usually around 6,000-8,000 won (except for High Cut which is 500 or 700 won).

      Delete
  17. where did you get the high cut magazine? i usually dont find them anywhere when i go to korea :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They usually sell it at any bookstore! You should try Kyobo at Gwanghwamun which is one of the biggest! There's also a bookstore at Neon square in Myeongdong, and one in Jonggak!

      Delete
  18. Where can I buy the High Cut magazine in korea?

    ReplyDelete